- The non-profit purpose of the Association is to promote global exchange, collaboration, and development for the recognition of informal, non-formal, and formal learning with digital badges (badges) and credentials, including:
- Ensuring a systemic (holistic) view of digital badges (badges) and credentials for individuals, organizations, and societies.
- Promote the formation of an inclusive network of interested stakeholders based on the principle of diversity.
- Demonstrate understanding of current global developments in the field of digital badges (badges) and credentials and their local adaptation through examples.
- To support innovative projects from idea to realization. This can be done on a scientific, policy or application level.
- In order to realize the statutory purpose, the Association develops a methodological, technological and organizational infrastructure, which is managed by the Secretariat and maintained by the members. Under the umbrella of the Association, working groups may be formed to focus on specific initiatives as well as regional areas.